Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Perspective Adjustment

Some days I'm a total grouch. I wish I could say it was always for good reason, but *cringe* that's not always the case. And in these less-than-shinning moments, silly things get to me. I get annoyed that we're out of milk, or that the bed is still un-made. Both of which are my fault. Or that my hour to to-do list ratio isn't working out right, or that the car needs an oil change. 

Then the inevitable happens, I find something that's not 100% my fault. My poor husband's sock, or deodorant out of place or those kitchen cupboard doors left open can get some pretty nasty glares. But why? Why can such a small thing derail me, taking me from joyful to crank pot?

At first these kind of angry emotions were new to me. I thought they just needed to be released. So I let my thunder cloud stay for awhile, thinking that was the healthy way. After all, ignoring emotions gets you in more trouble, right?

But I didn't feel any better and the anger came more often and over sillier and sillier things. So here's my new observations: On days that I am lacking peace, missing my quiet time because I'm too "productive" to pause, days that I don't lean on the Lord's wisdom to guide my steps, the little stuff throws me way off course. When I get a little perspective on the menial tasks and interruptions in my day, life is so much smoother. 

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

Let the little things roll off your back. The toys that are out, the dinner that's late, the car that cut you off in traffic- these things have nothing to do with the big picture.

 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

Focus on what's important and our needs will be taken care of. Don't get stuck on the little stuff, and above all, give people the benefit of the doubt. You'll wish they did the same for you.

Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools. Ecclesiastes  7:9


And so, I shut my cupboard doors, thankful such an amazing man is around to open them.





No comments:

Post a Comment